We generally like to plan our meals, do our grocery shopping and cook over the weekend. This makes weekdays just a little less hectic. We found this recipe on Pinterest. This is where we find most of the new recipes we try.
This easy recipe for Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup is both delicious and relatively easy to make! This one can be adapted for the Instant-Pot or a slow-cooker, but we made it on the stove top.
It is adapted from a recipe by Jenn at Peas and Crayons! Thanks for sharing, Jenn!
Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup
- Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup La Victoria green chili sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 15 oz black beans, organic, reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz pinto beans, organic, reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
Optional soup toppings:
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced fresh jalapeno pepper
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Greek yogurt
- Prep and measure all ingredients
- Add olive oil to a large pot and heat to medium
- Saute onion until golden brown
- Add bell pepper, serrano pepper, and corn and cook until peppers are tender approximately 5 minutes
- Add broth, tomato sauce, green chili sauce, tomato paste, beans, and spices, stir to mix
- Let mixture come to a boil and add dried lentils
- Let soup come up to a boil again then reduce heat to simmer, covered for 30 minutes
- Stir in the optional whipping cream to thicken and make the soup more creamy, if desired
- Serve hot, add any optional toppings and enjoy!
Let me know, in the comments below, if this recipe sounds like something you might try… or if you have already made it.
- How did it come out?
- Would you make it again?
- If so, would you change anything?